Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Interview With Author Reena Jacobs ;D

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to our fifth post for the International Indie Author Blog Hop! Today on the blog we have the pleasure of chatting with author Reena Jacobs about her paranormal romance, Shadow Cat, and her little love story, I loved You First. Now, as always, we have a little business to contend with first before we get to the spilt tea (gossip/details).


Eric Randall’s plan is simple—fix the mess his researchers have created in Malaysia, experience the pleasures the country has to offer, and return to the comforts of America. All it takes is one beautiful aborigine, and Eric finds himself stranded in a world of Malaysian myths and legends. A novice shaman amongst her people, Berani is free and independent. Yet all is not well in her homeland. Demons prey on her people, pushing them to extinction. When a strange speaking man invades her forest, she has one more worry to add to her already troubled life. Attraction or no, she will fight Eric tooth and claw to maintain her freedom. But will she destroy herself in the process? If Berani wishes to save her family… if Eric wishes to reclaim his old life, they must stand together against the threats of encroaching wehr-tigers and bloodsucking demons… or perish.


My best friend was more than just a best friend to me. Three words summed it up: I heart him. I’d never tell him though. I wasn’t stupid. Besides, what he’d told no one, but me, was a little something I wished I could forget… or ignore. He was gay. I guess gay wouldn’t be bad if I wasn’t so in love with him. Now it was just cruel.

Stereotypes run amok in this college love story: Parties, alcohol, hookups, and breakups. Alexandria Carmichael may find it a bit much as she deals with the unreturned love from the boy who completes her. When all is revealed, not only does she risk losing her best friend forever, but also herself. Without her childhood companion for support, Alexandria takes a journey of self-discovery but fears what she’ll find at the end.


And now, let's get to the part you've all been waiting for...let's spill some tea with Reena Jacobs, shall we?

1. In five words or less, how would you describe Shadow Cat?

Sexy, exotic, grisly, unique, steamy

2. What are you working on now?

I’m working diligently on releasing my next work I Loved You First. It’s a college love story about a gal in love with her best friend. Great! That works. One snag… he’s gay. The anticipated release date is August 1, 2011. For now, readers can add I Loved You First to their Goodreads list.

3. Where did your draw your inspiration for Shadow Cat’s story from?

Other than being a lover of paranormal romance, I’d have to say research. Shadow Cat truly was research driven. After I decided to write about wehr-tigers, I happened upon Malaysian folklore. From there, the story branched out. What would be important to a clan living in the jungles? If one were to ask me, who came first: Eric or Berani? I’d have to go with Berani. She is the original protagonist, and Eric is her antagonist.

4. What do you enjoy doing when you're not writing?

Not writing? You mean there’s life outside of not writing? Church, spending time with my family, and reading.

5. What writer(s) has been a big influence on you?

My immediate answer is always Sherrilyn Kenyon. Her works were my introductory into the paranormal romance genre. I’d longed to read romance but was tired of the same old drab story lines. So much, I’d not picked up a romance for years. Then a bookstore clerk pointed me to Sherrilyn Kenyon. The author revitalized my love for romances. I was on such a paranormal romance kick when I started to write, that’s where I started.

6. If there was one piece of advice you could share with an author who's just starting to write, what would it be?

Don’t let the bull people feed you discourage you from following your dreams. Most folks are stumbling around on hearsay and spreading information someone else told them like it’s absolute. In truth, there are too many variables floating in the wind to determine who is and who isn’t going to be a success in this industry.

Don’t believe me? Look at the history of some of the success stories. You’ll find most (if not all) of them broke some golden rule: Fugly cover art, substandard editing, snubbed someone. I’m not saying to toss everything to the wind. Definitely put your best foot forward. Just know that luck hits some folks harder than others, and you might be the next recipient.

7. What do you admire most about your main character?
Strength. I try to write strong heroines. Sometimes my heroines’ bold attitudes get in the way, but they’re not pushovers. And if they start off with noodles for spines, by the end I hope I’ve pushed my minions to find that inner burn to stand up for themselves.

8. If you could have a paranormal power or be a certain creature, what would it be?

Mind reading, hands down. Would I abuse my powers? Uh… yeah. Of course I would.

9. What is your favorite book that has been made into a movie?

The Joy Luck Club. Long time ago, in another life, I took a Women’s History course, and The Joy Luck Club was mandatory reading. I cannot tell you how much I did not want to read that book. Then the instructor played the movie in class. OMG! That movie was wonderful. I went home and devoured the book. Then I cruised through the rest of Amy Tan’s works.

The Joy Luck is probably the only movie I watched first then read the book. Of course it was mandatory, but still. J

Thanks for having me, Carol and Adam.


Here are just a few links where you can find Reena's works:


Reena Jacobs is just your typical writer who loves to see her words in print. As an avid reader, she’s known to hoard books and begs her husband regularly for “just one more purchase.” Her home life is filled with days chasing her preschooler and nights harassing her husband. Between it all, she squeezes in time for writing and growling at the dog. You can find Reena on Ramblings of an Amateur Writer, Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes & Nobles, and Smashwords.


Today, July 27th is the next stop for the Indie Author Blog Hop. So make sure you hop on over to these sites for more spilt tea:

Haresh Daswani hosts an excerpt of Reena Jacob’s, Shadow Cat, on his blog.

*Don't Forget To Enter The Huge Indie Author Blog Hop Giveaway!* http://www.angelhaze.com/2011/07/01/blog-hop/

1 comment: